Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Update No. 1 on the EAA Witness Steel Full Size Pistol

The Ammunition
Yesterday, I went to the range and took the Winchester 22LR 36Gr Hollow Point box of 555 rounds. Along with those, I took 100 rounds of CCI mini mags, 100 rounds of Remington 6100 22LR 40Gr Target, and 100 rounds of Winchester 9mm 115 Gr FMJ.  Here is the break down.



I started shooting the EAA Witness with the 22LR conversion kit and the Winchester 36Gr hollow point rounds. To summarize, I did not have to used either the CCI mini mags or the Remington target rounds. I did not have a single failure on the first 100 rounds I shot with the Winchester hollow points. In between, my girlfriend, one of the instructor from the range, and me, we shot 420 rounds of the 555 box with only 3 failures to feed.  The EAA Witness with the 22LR conversion is fun to shoot!  The instructor was delighted and amazed at how accurate the EAA Witness is. My girlfriend, who arrived late to the rage, had a blast shooting the EAA Witness, and she did not have a single failure with the pistol.

Like I noted in my review of the EAA Witness, some of the pistols that I was on the market for, had bad reviews and many criticized the fact that most of those 22LR pistols require the CCI mini mags to function properly.  CCI mini mags run cheaply at around $6.50 for 100 rounds. I have seen CCI mini mags for as high as $8.50 per 100 rounds at gun shops.  I paid $6.50 on special for the 100 Remington Target rounds, and those were recommended by the sales person as a good alternative to the CCI mini mags. In contrast, I paid $14.99 for the 555 rounds of Winchester hollow points. That is 2.7 cents a round compared to 6.5 cents a round for the CCIs or Remington.  That is an added value to the EAA Witness.

Accuracy was great!  I started shooting at around 10 yards (top left of the picture) and ended up at 25 yards (bottom right of the picture). At 25 yards, I could barely see the circle target from the sights. But as you can see from the pictures, accuracy was pretty good for the distance. The range instructor shot around 30 rounds in the middle circle, at about 12 to 15 yards. Bottom left circle was at around 15 yards.


Before my girlfriend arrived, I shot 100 rounds of the 9mm. Not sure why, but I was not as accurate with the 9mm as I was with the 22LR slide. I think it might be the recoil that affected every other shot. I am not really sure. At first, I thought shots were going to the right of the target, as I originally noted in my review of the EAA Witness. The range instructor also thought it was pulling right after testing it, but he then moved the target closer to about 8 yards, and he was dead on center target. With the target closer, I had better rounds, but I think that the recoil is affecting me somehow. The instructor then gave me his Glock 17, that he modified and now has a 4.5 pound trigger pull, and it was really sweet to shoot. I probably shot 30 round with the Glock and had close to the same results. I have to admit that after shooting over 500 rounds exclusively with the EAA Witness, one builds muscle memory for that specific trigger and trying that Glock 17 just had a different feeling. I think I have to do more shooting with the 9mm slide to really figure out how it performs at longer distances. By the way, no failures with the 9mm slide.

For shooting 420 rounds, the slide, barrel, and recoil spring, were not too dirty. The EAA Witness has been cleaned and it is ready for next week at the range, and the next update.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the articles on the EAA, I would like to see more 9mm rounds down range and another write up. I am curious if more break-in and cleaning on the 9mm slide & barrel will improve anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will give you an update later today. I have another range report from this past Tuesday and I shot 9mm rounds with the EAA Witness.

    ReplyDelete